Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Apples and a Sprinkler Dance

Parents, first of all...you are serious rockstars by helping to complete homework and math game pages, making sure your kids are reading each night, and you have been awesome with signing and returning graded work!  I can't thank you enough!!!  Our partnership this year will ensure that your kids are successful, and I truly couldn't do it all without you.  Now, give yourself one of our class cheers:  "The Sprinkler Dance!" {If you have NO idea what I'm talking about, ask your first grader to demonstrate!  I'm sure they'll be happy to show you!  HA!}


The end of the first nine weeks is quickly approaching, so I just wanted to remind you to continue practicing number fluency to six!  Your help at home with this skill has really been made evident in our class "number talks" and math tubs each day!  When you are ready for your child to be tested, please return the page to me--with a little note that says, "ready"!  The directions for the number fluency page are below--if you need to download another copy, just click the image:


Last week was apple week, and I appreciate everyone who sent in apple items for the apple tasting party!!! Yum.  We had tons of fun last week tying in apples to almost every subject!  During writing workshop, I did a mini lesson on adjectives, and then the kids called out adjectives to describe apples.  I added their ideas to our smiley apple guy chart:


On Johnny Appleseed's birthday, we did one of my all-time absolute favorite craftivities-- GIANT apples!!!  Totally kid-created, and totally adorable and unique--(in this teacher's opinion)!  During the creation of these ginormous apples, my classroom was literally a sea of red paper.  It was slightly crazy in there, but it really was all kinds of fun! The kids created the coolest little apple cores I've ever seen.  I may never want to take this display down!!!


{They also added labels to show the parts of the apple, and we attached their apple booklets--for more information, see below!}


In reading, we have begun learning features of non-fiction text, so of course, I HAD to tie it into apples.     The kids each created a non-fiction features mini booklet--all about apples!  Here is a super example: 





Happy fall, y'all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment